Sunday, October 16, 2005

reality check

this morning i woke up to blue skies and sunshine out my window. a rarer and rarer sight this time of year in vancouver.

it pissed me off.

instead of working on my paper due on tuesday, i'd have to go play ultimate frisbee. a few of us have played together in the intramural league for the past few semesters. i'm far too loyal and have problems saying no and a big enough guilt complex that i showed up to play. i was annoyed that it cut into the middle of my day. it grated on my nerves.

i don't know at what point in the day i realized that i was being an idiot about it. i was mad about playing outside on a beautiful fall day? what was wrong with me? i took a deep breath of crisp fall air, looked and i mean really looked at the grass, the trees and the sky. I pushed my worries aside, knowing that when it came time, i'd get things done, as i have so many times before. i resolved to enjoy myself, and be present in the moment.

we won both games. hardfought battles, as we were short on subs. i'm starting to remember how to play again, and my body wasn't as sore as it was last time we played. these bones are getting older and slower.
as a reward, one of my new teammates bought us all caramel apples from the apple festival. that's so little league - i love it.

also, my housemate jeff made hostess cupcake and reese's peanut butter cup milkshakes. awesome.

No comments: