Friday, June 16, 2006

whiling away the hours

the days in vancouver dwindle down...

i am still holding on to some level of denial, as i have picked my departure date but not purchased the train ticket. that's right, i'm taking the train back to california. it shall be old-fashioned, lovely, and scenic.

anyhow, i've passed much of the time loitering in the atrium at school. with my friends scattered to the winds and to new digs, and me without at phone # to call my own, i depend mainly on the free wireless and chance encounters in the atrium as my main form of connecting with people. plus, i still get free coffee from the well. don't need much else, i suppose.

it is strange how things come full circle. when i first got to vancouver and didn't know anyone, i'd pass entire afternoons in this space visiting with people, and getting to know them, trying to put down roots with people. the following 2 years, i avoided the atrium because i am an introvert at heart. i met my friends elsewhere. and now i am back here at a table, surfing the web for a job, daydreaming about what to do with my life, and wondering what will happen to the roots i have grown here with people.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Train! that'll be great. I rode the train once. From Chicago to NY City. I went along with a youth group from MI for a 4 day stint. Everything was going great with 25 middle school kids running up and down the train. But this is Amtrack that advertises to ride with them and 'party before the party.' And then they came out. the drunk guys stumbling up and down the isles. I hid under the seats and pretended to be asleep. I let the middle schoolers fend for themselves. Everything went fine though. The ride took 22 hours.
blessings!

Jen R. said...

DON'T GO! You can live in our laundry room!

Anonymous said...

I miss you Audrey! Hope you know how much you're loved. The roadtrip was amazing and you will LOVE the train. it was beautiful going to sacramento...

love, sara