Monday, March 07, 2011

blankety blank

time's been flying pretty fast it seems. it's already march, and it's even lame daylight savings time this weekend. yet when i sit down to blog, i usually draw a blank on what to write. it concerns me a bit - i'd rather not sleepwalk through life, and hopefully i don't look as zombie-fied as some people do during my morning commute on the BART train. it's easy to get wrapped up in my own head and not notice what's around me. my brother got me an ipod touch for christmas, so i try to take pictures of things that grab my attention. it's been a helpful discipline to try to notice things.

one rainy morning last week. i know i shouldn't have been taking picture while driving but i like to live dangerously. and it was a pretty sweet rainbow.

this here is a skateboarding bulldog. definitely not something you see everyday. he and his owner showed up by city hall during my lunch break. everyone was so delighted to watch this dog run around with one paw on the board; he never did hop up on it. as i headed back to the office, the two of them ran by down the sidewalk - it was pretty great to see all the bystanders react to the sight of the two of them it's not often that the city bustle pauses. i'm not sure who was getting more exercise, the dog or his owner, who was pretty bullish himself. man, i want a dog.


yesterday was my longest training run yet for the half marathon. did roughly 10 miles, on the official course. i was slooow, but i liked getting a chance to familiarize myself with the scenery, and to do a long run with people. i've done all the running by myself so far - the kids on training wheels keeping the same pace as me while i'm running in golden gate park doesn't count. and not all that motivating. but handling the 10 miles (in the rain, no less, which makes me feel kind of hardcore. well, what passes for hardcore for me these days) gave me the boost of motivation to get through these last weeks of training. and then afterward, i ate one of these:
a fat root beer float from fenton's, after i consumed their famous crab salad sandwich with a side of curly fries. i'd been thinking about eating lunch after mile 1 that morning. so excellent.

probably going to throw another one of these down on fat tuesday. which is then followed by ash wednesday. followed by lent. i think this year, i'll try to write on the blog every day again. we'll see. i just like to tease all 3 of my readers.

No comments: