Sunday, October 02, 2005

introverson

discovering these busy days just how introverted i am. sure being with a group of close friends energizes me and my playful side comes out. but i feel utterly drained after my shift as a barrista, or a long day in school. once i get home i pretty much pass out. i need the time to be "off." it's just interesting to be realizing new things about yourself. or perhaps it has to do with the season you are in. my first year at regent, for instance, i would have totally been into going to the parties and would sit in the atrium passing the afternoon by visiting with people. instead tonight i watched a movie with a few friends instead of the party scene, and sit at the counter at the coffee shop away from the center of social interaction. i opt for sitting around a table with a few good friends. which will hold, i suppose, until i move to wherever it is i go to after this place and have to start over again, forcing me to extroversion. such are the rhythms.

spent the afternoon taking care of my friend's 3 year old son, hudson. while hudson and i played in the waiting room, he was getting his dislocated shoulder popped back into place. we were playing ultimate frisbee and it popped out. russ's wife and other son were at home, so i went along in the ambulance to keep hudson company. there was no alternative really. it was a bit surreal. and funny to see how hudson trusted me, since i had spent my first year at school babysitting him every thursday. it's not so easy to earn a place in a child's world, and when a kid remembers my name, i feel honored. he and i passed the time by checking out the inside of the ambulance, and he made up his own songs to sing. i mean, for hudson, it was a pretty exciting day. not so much for russ.

No comments: