Monday, March 09, 2009

mish mosh

i didn't see my friend in the dining room this week. i hope she is still around. this week, i ended up directing traffic in the dining room today, something i had never done before. most people get 2 meal tickets and they hold them up in the air for us to bring them a tray. so i helped direct servers to different people. it's a thankless job - visualize that old video game "root beer tapper" or "space invaders." people are hungry. and sometimes the volunteer servers don't actually make it to the person i point out to them. 'twas kind of fun to do something different though, it required me to pay attention to different things and interact more. usually when i first get there, i keep my head down and serve trays until i feel a little more sociable. you know me - i'm such a morning person!

wasn't sure how i'd feel this morning after not getting the job last week. besides being grumpy about my lost hour of sleep, i was happily resentment-free and enjoyed being there as usual. and i'd still like to work there. too bad i'm not bilingual (yet).

how to make me laugh: (actual text messages)
me: hey how's the not swearing for lent going?
response: fucking awesome!
me: laughing out loud in coffee shop

(actual phone conversation)
me: sienna, if there were two cookies, would you share with me?
sienna, sassy 3 1/2 year old: yes, i would have one and you would have one
me: sienna, what if there was one cookie, would you share with me then?
sienna: no, i would eat the whole cookie.
me: what? would you let me a have a bite?
sienna: no, i don't want to.
me: what if there were 5 cookies? would you share with me then?
sienna: yes, you could have one.
me: one?
sienna: and i would have the rest.
(at this point, i am suspecting the influence of terrible parenting)
me: so really, if there was only one cookie, you wouldn't share it with me?
sienna: then we would make more cookies!
genius.

2 comments:

jeff said...

Sienna is now out of my hands. I had my chance, but she is way too far ahead for me. What can anyone do? Don't tell Lara, she still thinks I can handle her.
you need to call more often to keep her in check. please.

Lara said...

Whatever, we can totally handle Sienna, we just wanted her to have a little sass. Thank God for the power of time outs and taking away ponies.